Another
character is the narrator’s husband John, who is described through both direct
and indirect types of characterization. First of all, the main traits of his
character are mentioned by the narrator: “John is practical in the extreme. He
has no patience with faith, an intense horror of superstition, and he scoffs
openly at any talk of things not to be felt and seen and put down in figures”. As such, John embodies a supreme rationality that
makes it difficult for the narrator to convince him of her sincere discomfort
with her room and its coloring.
Moreover, we
get to know that the man is a high-ranking
physician: “John is a physician … a physician of high standing” However,
he fails to cure his wife’s disease. Even worse! He fails to admit that his
prescriptions do not work. I guess that in the following lines are implied a
sort of irony: "...you really are better, dear, whether you can see it or
not. I am a doctor, dear, and I know. You are gaining flesh and
color, your appetite is better". The narrator’s reply is: "I
don't weigh a bit more, nor as much; and my appetite may be better in the
evening when you are here, but it is worse in the morning when you are
away!" John is so sure that he knows what’s
best for his wife that he disregards her own opinion of the matter, forcing her
to hide sincere feelings: “John does not know how much I really suffer.
He knows there is no reason to suffer, and that satisfies him.”
To say the least of it, John consistently patronizes his second half: “He
is very careful and loving, and hardly lets me stir without special direction.
I have a schedule prescription for each hour in the day; he takes all care from
me, and so I feel basely ungrateful not to value it more.” Charlotte Perkins Gilman makes us of
irony here extremely skillfully, which helps her to show the real side of the
personality of John.
Комментариев нет:
Отправить комментарий