The
events in the analysed text happen in a colonial
mansion, a hereditary estate, which is quite isolated from other houses:
“It is quite alone, standing well back from the road, quite three miles from the
village.” The setting of the events in the given
extract is quite a realistic one. Furthermore, it is presented in a very detailed
way: “There is a DELICIOUS garden! I never saw such a garden--large and shady, full of box-bordered paths,
and lined with long grape-covered
arbors with seats under them.”
I’d
like to emphasize that practically all time the main character spends in her
room. To my mind, it is expressed in a specific way as it symbolizes the emotional state
of the character. The narrator gives a very precise description of this room,
for example: “It is a big, airy
room, the whole floor nearly, with windows that look all ways, and air and sunshine galore. It
was nursery first and then
playroom and gymnasium, I should judge; for the windows are barred for little children, and there are
rings and things in the walls.
The paint and paper look as if a boys' school
had used it. It is stripped off--the paper--in great patches all
around the head of my bed, about
as far as I can reach, and in a great place on the other side of the room low down. I never saw a
worse paper in my life.” From
this very quote it stands out a mile that the woman hates being there. Especially
she seethes with anger at the colour of the walls: “The
color is repellent, almost revolting; a smouldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning
sunlight. It is a dull yet lurid
orange in some places, a sickly sulphur
tint in others. No wonder the
children hated it! I should hate it myself if I had to live in this room long.”


It's nice that you support your analysis with the quotations form the story, Kate. It makes your analysis more convincing. Keep analysing!
ОтветитьУдалить